CHIS is a PEANUT / NUT ALLERGY SENSITIVE SCHOOL
Posted On:
Saturday, August 13, 2016

 

Peanut/Nut Allergy Sensitive School

Student(s) with Serious Food Allergy

 

Dear Parents,

 

Many of you may be aware that a few children in our school, CHIS, have been diagnosed with a serious peanut/nut allergy after becoming very ill. Peanut/Nut allergy claims more lives each year than any other food allergy, and a child with a serious peanut/nut allergy can suffer a severe reaction by ingesting trace amounts or simply touching a peanut/nut-containing food.

 

Staff has been trained to use epinephrine injectors. There are no cures for food allergies, so strictly avoiding the allergy-causing food is the safest plan.

The safety of all of our children is paramount to all of us at CHIS.

We Need Your Support

Please help us by voluntarily by adhering to the following food allergy safety guidelines:

1. Do not send any food items to be eaten as snacks in our classroom with ingredient labels indicating they contain peanuts, peanut butter, or nuts.

2. Do not send any food items with ingredient labels indicating they were manufactured in a factory that processes nuts. (e.g. Hershey plain chocolates, some jelly beans, & some granola products.)

3. Parties are a special time for children, but can be difficult for the food-allergic child. When sending in snacks, please be careful about the ingredients, as some brands/flavors of baking chips are processed in factories containing nut products. Note that bakeries often use the same bowls to prepare items with nuts and those items without nuts.

4. If your child ate foods with peanuts, peanut butter, or nuts for breakfast, please make sure that his/her hands are washed with both soap and water before leaving for school.

 

Please carefully consider the special event treats such as Halloween or Valentine candies you choose for class distribution, as you will be amazed which items contain nuts or are processed in a factory with nut products or were processed in a facility that also manufactures food containing common food allergens.

 

The children have been very thoughtful concerning this serious situation. They remind staff about students’ allergy and ask if said students can eat the snacks we are having. This is a learning process for all of us, and we trust you understand the necessity of these guidelines.

 

Remember, the safest way to reduce peanut/nut allergy risks in our classroom, is to take the time to read ingredient labels carefully.

 

We are a peanut / nut sensitive school.

 

Thank you for your support and cooperation.

 

Sincerely,

 

CHIS Staff & Faculty

 

More information is available at www.foodallergyinitiative.net

 

View all Latest News